Sony launched PlayStation 4 on Friday. The PS4 system is now available in the United States and Canada for $399, and comes with a lineup of over 20 first- and third-party games, including exclusive titles like Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall. In total, the PS4 system will have a library of over 30 games by the end of the year, says Sony. There are more than 180 games in development.
Jack Tretton (President and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment): We have poured an incredible amount of power and innovation into PS4 to bring you the most immersive, jaw-dropping gaming and entertainment experiences imaginable.
The roughly 80 million users who have a PlayStation 3 will not be able to play their old games on the new PlayStation. PS4 is not backward-compatible, nor are digital purchases made for the PS3 available for PS4 at launch.
Lets take a look at the PlayStation 4 technical specs:
- Main processor: Single-chip custom processor
- CPU: low power x86-64 AMD Jaguar, 8 cores
- GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon Graphics Core Next engine Memory: GDDR5 8GB
- Hard Disk Drive: Built-in
- Optical Drive (Read only): BD 6xCAV, DVD 8xCAV
- I/O: Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0), AUX
- Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)
- AV output: HDMI, Digital Output (optical)
Microsoft XBox, costing a $100 more, goes on sale in a week.
[Image courtesy: Sony]
You may also be interested in:
- PS4 Coming November 15
- PS4 To Cost $399, And This Is How It Looks..
- Doctor Who Coming To PlayStation Home
- Everything You Want To Know About PS 4