OpenAI CEO Sam Altman’s three-year cryptocurrency project, Worldcoin, went live on Monday. Co-founded with Alex Blania and Max Novendstern, the Worldcoin Foundation offers a unique digital identity, known as World ID, linked to the project’s own cryptocurrency, Worldcoin token (WLD), and the World App that allows for global transactions using digital assets and fiat-backed stablecoins.
World ID confirms the identity of a unique, real person while maintaining anonymity through privacy-preserving cryptographic mechanisms, such as zero-knowledge proofs. This identity can be integrated into apps, smart contracts, or backends.
Users can receive the Worldcoin token by registering as a beta participant. The token is now available for transactions on the blockchain.
The World App, another key feature of the project, is a World ID-compatible app that allows global transactions using digital assets and fiat-backed stablecoins.
How do you get a World ID?
The process of obtaining a World ID involves getting the ID in a compatible wallet, receiving credentials in their World ID, and having biometric in-person verification using a Worldcoin orb or their phone. The World ID is then connected to authenticate and prove humanness.
- Get your World ID in a compatible wallet (e.g. the World App).
- Receive credentials in their World ID. The highest level of ‘humanness’ is a biometric in-person verification, where you have to scan your iris using a Worldcoin orb, which is an imaging device. You can also establish proof of personhood in the World ID Protocol by using your phone. The option of face matching is coming soon.
- Project integrates with World ID.
- Connect their World ID to authenticate, and optionally prove humanness. The user’s wallet will generate a ZKP to accomplish this.
- Project verifies the ZKP, either by using the API or by verifying it on-chain.
By the way, Worldcoin is currently taking applications for orbs operators, where you can sign up to receive orbs, and earn money for everyone you sign up with an orb.
Access for mobile, web and crypto apps to the World ID SDK is now available here.
Find a whitepaper on worldcoin here.
Worldcoin is part of Tools For Humanity, a technology company based out of San Francisco that was started to ‘ensure a more just economic system.’
[Image courtesy: Worldcoin]