Lego showed off the world’s largest Lego model, a 1:1 replica of the Lego Star Wars X-Wing starfighter, in New York’s Times Square. The replica took 32 master builders, five million Lego bricks and over 17,000 hours to complete. It weighs nearly 20,865 kilograms, stands 3.35 meters tall and 13.1 meters long, with a wingspan of 13.44 meters.
The X-wing is a Rebel Alliance starfighter, armed with four laser cannons and two proton torpedo launchers. You may remember it as Luke Skywalker’s ride when he goes to attack the Death Star.
The model was built to celebrate the premiere of The Yoda Chronicles on Cartoon Network. It will ‘take off’ for a summer landing at Legoland California, where it will be installed through the remainder of the year.
Lego Star Wars X-Wing Starfighter Model Fun Facts
- Contains 5,335,200 LEGO bricks
- Weighs 45,980 pounds/20,865 kilograms
- Height: 11 feet / 3.35 meters
- Length: 43 feet / 13.1 meters
- Wingspan: 44 feet / 13.44 meters
- 32 builders spent 17,336 hours to construct – about 4 months
- Built in the Lego Model Shop in Kladno, Czech Republic
- Is a one-to-one replica of Lego Star Wars set #9493; The model is 42x the size of the retail building set
- The model was heavily engineered to withstand all the transportation, setup/break down and to ensure it was safe for Times Square given the subway system below and California’s seismic requirements for the Legoland California installation.
[Image courtesy: Lego]