Canonical has launched a crowdfunding campaign to develop Ubuntu Edge. The Ubuntu Edge will dual-boot Ubuntu phone OS and Android, and will transform into a PC when docked with a monitor, with the full Ubuntu desktop and shared access to all the phone’s files.
Mark Shuttleworth (Founder, Ubuntu): Ubuntu Edge is the ultimate convergence device – challenging established norms for PCs and smartphones. The crowdfunding approach is a new way to prove demand for cutting edge technologies and new classes of devices.
The campaign aims to raise $32 million over 30 days on Indiegogo, for a limited production run of 40,000 devices. Backers committing $600 on day one, or $830 thereafter, will receive an Ubuntu Edge mobile device in May 2014.
Ubuntu Edge specifications
- Dual-boot Ubuntu Edge into either Ubuntu or Android, and convert into a fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC
- Quad-core CPU and at least 4GB RAM
- 128GB of storage
- 4.5in 1,280 x 720 display with scratch-resistant Sapphire crystal glass
- 8mp rear camera, 2mp front
- Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
- Stereo speakers with active noise cancellation
- MHL connector, 3.5mm jack
[Image courtesy: Canonical]