A three-team alliance from Grand Blanc, Auburn Hills and Lansing won the 2012 Kettering University FIRST Robotics District Competition Saturday in Flint. Grand Blanc’s Team 2337, the Enginerds, joined with Auburn Hill’s Team 33, the Killer Bees, and Lansing’s rookie team, Star Trec, Team 4294, to take top competition honors during the district contest in Kettering’s Recreation Center.
Winning second place honors was a three-team alliance from Ann Arbor, Canton and Webberville. The silver medal teams are Team 3322, Eagle Imperium of Ann Arbor; Team 862, Lightning Robotics of Canton; and Team 3601, the Spartan Sprockets of Webberville.
Thirty-nine robotics teams competed at Kettering on March 2-3, one of 10 district robotics contests in Michigan this year. More than 3,000 visitors attended the two-day district competition — making it the single largest robotics event in Kettering history.
A number of other awards were presented during Kettering’s district games this weekend. The winners are:
- Chairman’s Award: Raptors, Team 1711, Traverse City
- Engineering Inspiration: Enginerds, Team 2337, Grand Blanc
- Rookie All-Star: RayderNators, Team 4376, Charlevoix
- Industrial Design: Eagle Imperium, Team 3322, Ann Arbor
- Quality: The Chimeras, Team 1684, Lapeer.
- Engineering Excellence: Wings of Fire, Team 51, Pontiac
- Innovation in Control: Martians, Team 494, Goodrich
- Creativity: Killer Bees, Team 33, Auburn Hills
- Entrepreneurship: Metal and Soul, Team 2604, Capac
- Coopertition: Superpower Eagles, Team 326, Romulus
- Team Spirit: Dragons, Team 302, Lake Orion
- Gracious Professionalism: AfterShock, Team 468, Flushing
- Imagery: G.R.A.Y.T. Leviathons, Team 1322, Fenton
- Highest Rookie Seed: Trojans, Team 4382, Saginaw
- Industrial Safety: RayderNators, Team 4376, Charlevoix
- Judges Award: Lightning Robotics, Team 862, Canton
- Rookie Inspiration: Star Trec, Team 4294, Lansing
- Website: Eagle Imperium, Team 3322, Ann Arbor
Michigan’s FIRST Robotics state championship will be in Ypsilanti April 12-14, and the national championship is set for St. Louis, Mo., April 26-28.
[Image Courtesy: Kettering University]