There are now more than one billion people actively using Facebook every month, said Mark Zuckerberg in an emotional post. We could not help notice, he uploaded the message on his Wall from a mobile.
The company followed up the one billionth user milestone with a brand video, The Things That Connect Us. You know, literally, the things that connect us. Chairs, doorbells, airplanes, bridges, games, basketball, great nation, the universe. And Facebook. The video was immediately spoofed to say chlamydia, coffee, jackets and buildings are like Facebook, going on to say why. It was promptly shared, very sportingly, by Sean Parker on his Facebook Wall. You can watch the original video here. And here is version spoof.
The brand video is part of a new advertising campaign by Facebook, to honor the everyday things that people make to get together and connect. The global campaign is targeted at Facebook users in 13 countries: Brazil, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Philippines, Russia, Spain, UK, and the US. It will be translated into 12 different languages. Facebook hired Wieden and Kennedy to be Facebook’s agency of record, and to work on this campaign, in October last year.
Mark Zuckerberg: I am committed to working every day to make Facebook better for you, and hopefully together one day we will be able to connect the rest of the world too.
Here are some more fun Facebook facts:
- Facebook reached 1 billion monthly active users on September 14 at 12.45 PM Pacific time.
- The social network has over 1.13 trillion likes since the feature was launched in February 2009
- There are 140.3 billion friend connections.
- 219 billion photos have been uploaded in Facebook. This data was pulled on September 10th this year, and represents the total number of photos currently on this site, minus photos that were deleted. If you want to count all photos ever uploaded in Facebook, thats an estimated 265 billion. Photo uploading launched fall 2005.
- There are 17 billion location-tagged posts, including check-ins, since the launch of the feature in August 2010.
- 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times in Facebook. This data was pulled on September this month, and represents song plays since the launch of music-listening applications a year ago.
Now lets look at how the characteristics of users joining Facebook have evolved:
Characteristics of users joining the week Facebook hit 1 billion:
• The median age of the user is about 22
• The top five countries where people connected from at the time Facebook reached this milestone were in alphabetical order: Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States
• Facebook now has 600 million mobile users
Characteristics of users joining the week Facebook hit 500 milion users (July 2010):
• The median age of the user at that time was about 23
• Top five countries where people connected from at the time were, in alphabetical order: Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States
• Users signing up at this time now have an average of 305 friends
Characteristics of users joining the week Facebook hit 100 million users (August 2008)
• The median age of the user at that time was about 26
• The top five countries where people connected from at the time were, in alphabetical order: Chile, France, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States
• The user signing up at this time now has an average 334 friends
Characteristics of users joining the week Facebook hit 50 million users (October 2007)
• The median age of the user signing up at this time was about 26
• Top five countries where people connected during this time, in alphabetical order, were Australia, Canada, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States
• Users signing up at this time now have an average of 321 friends